Really, this post is mostly to apologize for the lengthy hiatus I took from updating my blog. It's not that I haven't had anything to write about—seriously, I've only posted the very beginning of the European Excursion, and that was back in August—I just haven't been motivated. And entropy naturally increases unless we work against it (there's an old draft that I should someday finish related to that very subject). So here I now promise that I will faithfully update this blog. First: I will finish my account of the European Excursion before I return to Utah (in mid-January). They will also have pictures from now on. Check the two older posts for pictures I will add by New Years. Second: I will post weekly thereafter. I'm guessing Thursdays, but we'll see what my schedule's like.
Anywho, about my life for the past four months. Still no job. I totally bombed the one interview I had with Provo City, the only place I could have actually used my degree without moving. However, I feel justified in staying in Utah as one of the principle reasons was my connections to the writing world here in Utah Valley, and I am now in a writing group with some of those people. My practical side is satisfied in that these are good connections for my chosen career. My . . . impractical side? I don't know what to call the other side, but whatever it is, it's also satisfied as these are really cool people. I didn't really have nerds to hang out with growing up, and to now have lots of friends that share my interests instead of me adopting the interests of my peers, well, that means a lot to me. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends from high school and am way excited to see them now that I'm in Arizona for a month, but Provo has given me something that Arizona never did. I'm incredibly grateful for it, and as I reflect on the past few years, it amazes me how much I've been blessed. There's nowhere better that I could have gone in all the country to give me the tools I needed to become the type of writer I want to be. I'm still slow as a sloth, but I'm a sloth with power tools. I figure that when I finally finish a novel, it'll basically be like I built myself a powerchair to get me around, so I will be a sloth with wheels and power tools. Um . . . guys, that's a pretty cool image. Somebody get on that, alright?
So staying in Utah has been a good choice. I still can't say how long I'll stay there, but for now it's the right place. Hopefully I'll manage to get a job soon, though, so I'll be able to continue on. Shouts out to the studs of Carriage Cove apartment 221 for taking me in for my first month back from Europe, to Aaron Petterborg for giving me a place to live and a computer to write on, and of course Bill and Mariah Petrosino who are holding most of my stuff right now and took me in for Thanksgiving. All of you have been a great blessing in my life, and especially so during this time in which I cannot technically afford the cost of living.
That's a sweeping summary of some of the most important things. When I finish recounting my travels in Europe, I'll post some book reviews and other long-overdue posts. And seriously, you guys can count on me this time! Promise.
0 repartees & comentarios:
Post a Comment