Monday, 9 January 2012

To the Pain

For nearly ten years, I've been a pretty consistent weight: 160 lbs, give or take a couple. There have been fluctuations, some of them major. On my mission, I actually went up to 190 after being in car areas for about six months, but by the end of my mission I was back to 160. I feel that's where I belong. In my early days of plasma donation, they claimed my weight did some pretty wild fluctuations—like up to 175 and then a few days later down to 165. They said it was stress or some garbage; I maintain it was laziness on the part of the dude using the sliding weights on the scale, since the times I jumped up to 175 he also didn't wait until the scale had properly balanced. Then there were times where I just didn't have that much to eat for an extended period of time, and I dropped to 150. Honestly, I didn't notice the loss until I stepped onto a scale. It generally didn't matter, since in a couple of weeks I'd be back home at good old 160 lbs.

Naturally, I was a bit concerned when after a month and a half working at SirsiDynix I weighed in at 170 lbs. Don't get me wrong—I don't constantly check my weight (except when they do it for me at the plasma center). I was just feeling sluggish, and then I noticed I was developing a belly. This simply will not do. So I'm doing the only thing I can do: I've started working out.

I'm only a week into my little regimen, and I hope to improve it as I go. At this point, I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to working out. At this point I'm doing pushups and crunches, and I guess I need to throw something else in there to properly work out my biceps. I want to improve my upper body especially, though the crunches are the most important as I will not have a belly. I refuse to. In high school I developed a habit of sucking it in wherever I went, which I like to think has helped strengthen those muscles at least a little bit even if it was never something that would give me magnificent abs.

Normally this sort of determination to exercise lasts a day or two, and then I forget. Having gone a week and kept it up is kind of a hallmark.

The point, as the title of this post indicates, is that I am incredibly sore. Like, all over. My legs are the worst right now after playing frisbee in the snow on Saturday. I am soooooooooooooooo out of shape. But hey, I feel much better sore all over than slowly turning into a mass of wobbly lard stiffly propped up by the bone structure of this spooky skeleton I keep inside me. So huzzah for working out! (Maybe it'll even last!)

0 repartees & comentarios:

Post a Comment