This past weekend was General Conference, and I was lucky enough to get some tickets through my parents to attend the Sunday afternoon session with some friends. I really do enjoy the direction we get from modern-day prophets and apostles, along with that from other leaders of the Church. The salient theme this time was the importance of parenthood and raising children in the ways of the Lord. (I always find it amazing that the talks are not coordinated beforehand to produce such themes.) The world grows ever stronger, making it increasingly difficult to weather the storms of temptation. Children growing up in this environment need faithful parents to set them an example if they are to find the safe harbor that is Jesus Christ. Of course, that's hard for me to use right now. Honestly, it was a bit difficult at times to pay much attention because I did not feel the talks particularly applicable to my situation in life right now.
However, Elder Neil L. Andersen of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles brought the point home to me in the penultimate talk of the conference. He described a father's example to his children. The man memorized scriptures in the car, often practicing and reciting them with his daughter. I realized then that if I am to be as wonderful an example to my own children, I need to bring that sort of thing back into my own life. Recently I've had ample reason to evaluate myself and have found myself wanting in various categories. A few weeks ago I was reflecting on my understanding of the gospel. I feel that I have a fairly strong grasp on the principles of the gospel, at the very least theologically speaking (which is not nearly as important as actual praxis). While I can paraphrase scriptures and often tell you which book a given line comes from, I can no longer quote many scriptures verbatim, and my ability to find a given verse without help from the topical guide is minuscule now, to say the least. Really, I've been in a sort of spiritual doldrums lately, quite distinct from where I was but a year ago.
Elder Andersen's talk helped me see that I really need to bring things like memorizing scriptures back into my life. Not only will it help me towards becoming the man I want to be, establishing such habits will ensure that I am the type of father that I want to be. Hopefully I will now find the other similarly themed talks much more enlightening when I reread them over the coming months.
On Saturday, my friend Erin invited me to join her and some others visiting the Holy Trinity Cathedral of the Greek Orthodox Church in Salt Lake City. This year and next, the Western and Eastern liturgical calendars match up for the Easter celebration. It is a rare event, so I happily joined my Orthodox brothers and sisters Saturday night in celebrating the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
"Happily" might be somewhat misleading—I nearly didn't go because the celebration started at midnight. Actually, it started at 11 with a candlelight vigil, but we missed all but the end of that. When we arrived, the cathedral was packed to the point that we had to stand outside, and completely dark within but for a few candles moving about way in the back where I could only assume the priests were. Gradually, the room brightened as those candles were used to light other candles as the light of Christ illuminated the world. In time they turned the electric lights on and the liturgy began. Being so late, people started making their way out, allowing us to actually get inside the building and eventually sit down. Friends and family greeted each other with the traditional Easter greeting, "Christós Anésti!" ("Christ has risen!"), to which came the reply, "Alithos Anésti!" ("Truly, He has risen!"). That is one of the most wonderful greetings I have ever heard. A choir sang from the balcony above our heads, reechoing the traditional hymns. The most oft repeated and simply enchanting hymn started off with "Christós Anésti ek nekrón" ("Christ has risen from the dead"), and eventually I was singing along with the parts I could make out and remember well enough. The tune has been in my head all day, and I'm not complaining. After about an hour, I started getting tired, but endured for another hour or so after that, playing with the wax of my tall candle. The service involved a lot of standing and the scriptures were read in both Greek and English. (In even more traditional Orthodox churches in Europe, they don't even have pews because the faithful remain standing throughout the entire service.) I was impressed as they requested that only faithful members of the Greek Orthodox Church who were living their lives in accordance with the teachings of the Lord participate in the Communion. It was a pleasant reminder of how much we Mormons have in common with people of other faiths.
Afterwards, they invited everyone to participate in the Anesti feast. It was the first time I actually enjoyed lamb. We were blessed to have some very pleasant conversation with a few adherents of the Orthodox faith at the table we chose. One man, Nicholas, an erstwhile atheist, related to us his conversion story (which involved a trip to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre) and enlightened us with firsthand explanations of Greek Orthodox doctrine. He seemed to do a lot of theological study and criticism, which made talking to him all the more gratifying for me. Overall, it was quite an enjoyable experience.
I sincerely appreciate the faith of others, and listening to the Greek hymns was another attestation that other faiths have true value to contribute to my life. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does offer the fullness of the gospel, yes, but other churches and other religions have plenty to offer that one simply will not find in the Mormon routine. I'm glad that I got to participate in that worship and celebration of the Savior's resurrection. I'm also grateful that God has sent prophets again to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ, just as He did in ancient days. I know that though He died, yet does my Redeemer live. Through Him, I too may gain life eternal if I will but accept His sacrifice and be obedient to His commandments, faithful to the covenants I have received from Him. The Bible bears witness of this, and that testimony is confirmed by the Book of Mormon, which was translated by the prophet Joseph Smith through the gift and power of God. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church of Christ. Christós Anésti! And because He has risen, each of us will rise from the grave as well. The way to happiness and eternal life is clear, and the path is straight for all those willing to walk in the light of His love.
0 repartees & comentarios:
Post a Comment